ABOUT US

At the start of the 20th Century it consisted of three rooms. Those were the room for social gatherings and for reading magazines and newspapers, the room for books in the fund, and the meeting room.In 1913, the Serbian Reading Room had 157 members and was subscribed to 25 newspapers.By then, the fund consisted of 600 books, it had all the publications of the Serbian Literary Association, Matica Srpska and a Small Library from Mostar.

Between two World Wars the Serbian Reading Room was situated at Sokolski dom, it was closed to the public, a referral was needed for entrance. At this point the work of the Serbian Reading Room was focused on preservation of the national treasures but also on preserving the reading room itself.

In January 1939. The Serbian Reading Room officaly became a Public Library. At that point the library had 2500 books and 250 members. Her main focus was on spreading education and culture.The German occupation stormed the city in 1941 and burned the city archive and the entire fund of the library. It was renewed in 1945 and continued its work under the name “The City Reading Room”. In 1948 it changed its location again and it moved to one of the most beautiful buildings in Kikinda, The Vincahid’s Palace where it resides to this day. In 1952 the libray changed its name again. It is named after a well known writer Jovan Popovic (1905-1952). Jovan Popovic was born in Kikinda and after his death he left his entire property to the city authorities. After the war the size of the fund increased, so did the number of members.